Graduate Program

Financial Support and Scholarships

Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA)

The Department supports some students by awarding graduate teaching assistantships, GTA. A GTA receives a monthly stipend for nine months (or other period) and has their tuition paid. The tuition payment includes out-of-state tuition, when appropriate, for the first year only. Out-of-state students are required to obtain in-state residency for the second year of their GTA.

GTAs are typically contractually obligated to approximately 20 hours per week. GTAs teach the equivalent of 5 activity classes (usually 5 sections, not different courses), either in physical activity classes, laboratory sections of courses, or recitation sections of courses. Other courses may be assigned. Within the 20 hours, students prepare classes, teach classes, and hold office hours.

There is also a Graduate Service Assistantship (GSA) position in the Adult Fitness Program.

Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA)

There are graduate research assistantships available. An individual faculty member who has grant support funds these positions. Interested applicants should contact faculty directly.

Graduate Fellowship

Within the College, graduate fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. The Department nominates candidates for this award. The award is for one year and is equivalent to the GTA stipend and tuition.

Other Financial Support

The Graduate School lists many opportunities for students.

The Department is occasionally contacted by Recreational Sports to provide potential candidates for positions in recreational/intramural sports. Other financial support would be obtained through the Student Financial Services.

Students interested in the Athletics Training room should contact Athletics directly (

Doctoral Financial Support:

Doctoral students will be supported via some combination of the above as developed upon admission. Other financial support is available through the Graduate School. It is to the benefit of the out-of-state student to obtain in-state residency.

Criminal Background Checks:

Students with University employment, and/or requiring access to University buildings, and/or working with specific populations will be required to undergo a criminal background check.