Faculty and Staff
Matthew S. Hickey, Ph.D.
University Distinguished Teaching Scholar
Director, Graduate Program
Director, Human Performance Clinical Research Lab
215A Moby B Complex | (970) 491-5727 | Matthew.Hickey@ColoState.edu
- 1988, B.S., Exercise Science, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC
- 1990, M.S., Exercise Physiology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- 1993, Ph.D., Bioenergetics, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
- My laboratory, in collaboration with colleagues, studies the following areas related to human metabolism:
- The role of changes in dietary fat type (i.e., increased omega-3 fatty acids or decreased saturated fat) on insulin sensitivity and markers of both subclinical inflammation and endothelial dysfunction.
- Post-receptor signaling events in human skeletal muscle (i.e., insulin signaling, translation initiation) in response to changes in diet and physical activity.
- Ethnic differences in risk for the metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
- Diet, exercise, and nutrient partitioning.